Saturday, May 3, 2008

Another One Bites The Dust.

My little peanut is a strong one. Her immune system seems to be a tad stronger than her beloved brother's, and she gets sick much less frequently than he does.

Which, by the way, is nothing short of a medical marvel since they make it a point to be all over each other when either one of them is sick. And that is only one of the 642 reasons I always have an embarrassingly large amount of Purell on hand at any given time.

Instant hand sanitizer should be everyone's friend.

Drew's latest virus was well-documented here on the blawg and it ended about one week ago. We just finished patting ourselves on the back for at least sparing Abby from the plague when, you guessed it, she succumbed to the nastiest illness to invade our house in a long time.

Here she is Thursday morning as we were leaving for preschool. Looking happy and healthy...



One of her teachers called me later that morning saying that Abby had a temperature and just wanted to be held constantly. I hurried over to the school to find the rest of her class eating lunch while Abby was sleeping in the corner on a couple of over-sized pillows. It was a very sad sight. Her classmates were very concerned about her so I assured them I would take good care of her as I scooped her up and carried her to the car. She was burning up by the time we got home so I gave her some Motrin and she settled in on the couch to continue her nap.





Ever since then, her symptoms have been exactly the same as Drew's were last week. A fever that cycles with the doses of Motrin (averaging about 102.5), some vomiting, lowered appetite and willingness to drink, a congested cough, and one red eye (that isn't a case of pink eye).

She would start to perk up once the Motrin kicked in and then would begin to get the chills and shake as the fever came back a few hours later.

She wanted to watch Enchanted and dress up like Giselle at one point while she was feeling better and then an hour later she was sound asleep and flushed with a new fever.




Thursday night was rough and Friday morning didn't get much better. This is what she looked like on the couch (I'll give you three guesses as to what the bowl is for).




And just a few minutes later I checked on her to find her sound asleep once again.





We went to see the pediatrician. Her temperature was 104.5 when we got there. They tested her for strep and flu (both negative) and she didn't have an ear infection. The doctor is guessing it is viral (just like Drew) and mentioned one I had never heard of called Andovirus. The virus is basically all the normal cold symptoms with the differentiating feature of having one red eye. (again, not pink eye)

Weird.

But, I'll just have to take the doctor's word for it because Google was of absolutely no help in giving me any more information about the Andovirus.

The Internet - it is a tricky, tricky thing.

Our pediatrician insisted we take Abby for IV fluids. She has a history of getting dehydrated very quickly when she gets sick and he didn't want to take any chances. I protested a little because she was drinking and eating small amounts during the times she feels better. He didn't think it was enough. In the end, we decided to hold off on the IV (I hate to do it unless it's really necessary) and try to give her a chance to drink on her own. She's doing well with it and we haven't had to go in...yet.

I would love to say she is better, but she's just not there yet. She is still getting the high fevers and her eye is still red. I slept with her last night and we spent several hours using a cold washcloth to try to draw the heat from her body. It is unbelievable to me how hot she is getting each and every time. She is burning up and you can feel the heat radiate from her body when you are close to her. She is so sad and keeps telling us, "I don't like it being sick."

Yesterday, while I was holding a washcloth on her forehead I told her I was so sorry she didn't feel well and she told me, "It's ok mama. It's not your mistake."

And last night I was holding her when she fell asleep around 6:30. I tried to give her to Matt for a little while and she said, "No, mama. I go wherever you go." I tried again a few minutes later and she wrapped her arms tightly around my neck and said very firmly, "I go wherever you go."

And so she did.

And so she will until she feels better.

It is our hope and prayer that will be the case soon.

Very, very soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kyle W. Melton said...

My daughter was just diagnosed with "andovirus" also which is how I came across your blog... I think we may have mis-understood the pronunciation... try google-ing "adenovirus". God bless your little one...

Anonymous said...

my girlfriends 9 year old son was just diagnosed with "andovirus". he had the flu and the doctor is supposing it mutated from there. his fever averages the same as this little girl. hes been out of school for 2 weeks already and it might take 2 more weeks for him to be well enough for school again. this andovirus is tough and theres no information about it on google.

Anonymous said...

Try ADENOVIRUS. This is what you are looking for. It is often pronounced ANDOVIRUS.

Good luck.