Saturday, August 2, 2008

A Way With Words

Anyone in our family would tell you that Abby gives the best hugs EVER! We call them "Abby hugs" - she throws her arms around your neck and squeezes so very tightly that you can't help but laugh at the outpouring of her love.

Abby and Drew love easily and enormously. That is a wonderful thing for this mama who cherishes every single moment of those displays of affection. They happen frequently around here and I wouldn't have it any other way.

In addition to her sweet personality, Abby, like her brother, is always saying adorable things that I really want to remember. So, here's to remembering -


Abby and I were sitting in a waiting room and she was just hugging my neck and giving me kisses and being super sweet. Our conversation went like this...

Me: Abby, how did I get so lucky to be your mama?
Abby: Well, God picked you to be my mommy so I could love you.
Me: Really? That's so wonderful. How did you know that?
Abby: Oh, well, I really don't know it. I just really remember it.
Me: You remember it?
Abby: Yes, I remember when God picked you. Because I loved you the most!

And then she threw her arms around my neck for one of those hugs. Delicious.


Last week, we were all in the car together and Matt was joking with Abby about not kissing boys. She was very serious though when she replied, "Well, I think the rule should be that I can only kiss boys if I know their name."


A few weeks ago, Abby brought me her children's bible and asked me to read it to her. As I began to take the book from her, she held onto it tightly and looked at me very seriously as she held her hand over the book. She told me, "Miss Birdie says this is God's holy words."

I mentioned to Miss Birdie (Sunday school teacher) what Abby had said and Miss Birdie told me Abby listens very carefully to the Bible story each week and she always knows the answers to the questions.

Abby just beamed when she heard the praise.


We were at McDonald's about a month ago (just me and Abby) and she was working her way through a cup of ice cream. I was just having one of those mama moments. Just looking at her and marveling about how big she's grown and how fast the time is flying. I was admiring her sweetness in her pink dress with pink bows and pink flip flops and just loving the fact that she is a girl. I guess I was looking at her funny so she said, "Mama, do you want to share my ice cream?"

"No thanks, Abby. I'm just watching you enjoy it."

"Oh good," she said. "I'm already sharin' it with Jesus."

"Really?" I said.

"Well, yes. You see first it's really cold on my tongue. And then it goes down to my heart where I share it with Jesus. And then it goes to my tummy and I feel nice and full," she says as she points to her heart and then rubs her belly.

I told her it was so nice of her to share and she kind of shrugged her shoulders like it was no big deal.

It's a big deal to me, sweet Abby Grace. I love your heart and I love your spirit and I love your zest for life!

No comments: