Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Show Must Go On

Abby's Christmas recital was last week. I was a little nervous about the whole thing because she really didn't want anything to do with it last year. She was afraid of the "big girl room" and she didn't want to perform in front of all the parents. She spent most of the recital in my lap.

I tried to be understanding since she was only two years old.

I'm good like that.

But this year she is three and there are just no excuses. She rocked her preschool program, thus I was confident in her ability to master the dance recital.

Let me tell you people, she did not disappoint. Seems I have a little performer on my hands. This girl loves the spotlight and she wants it focused on her 100% of the time!

The girls had a small ballet class for the parents to observe before the show.




Then, they disappeared with the teacher to put on their Christmas costumes.

Their dance was to the song "Away In A Manger."


Away in a manger, no crib for His bed,
The little Lord Jesus lay down his sweet head.



The stars in the sky looked down where He lay


The little Lord Jesus, asleep on the hay.


The cattle are lowing,the Baby awakes,
But little Lord Jesus, no crying He makes



I love Thee, Lord Jesus, look down from the sky
And stay by my cradle till morning is nigh.



Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay,
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray!



Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care


And take us to heaven, to Live with Thee there.

Hold on...this next one doesn't look like it's part of the dance.

And, it's not really Abby's fault. See the girl in the pink leotard in the previous picture? The one with the baby doll flung over the top of her head? Yeah, her.

That baby doll came straight down onto Abby's head just as the song was ending.

Abby tried to hold it together. She really did. Her face crumpled and her bottom lip stuck out. Her eyes filled with tears and then she ran into the arms of her teacher for comfort.


After a few hugs (and the promise of a glittery fairy wand), Abby re-joined the group to finish the show.

I was so proud of her.

She cheered up as we joined the other families for cookies and juice, and she wanted a picture with her sweet ballet teacher.


And, when all was said and done, I don't think it bothered anyone that Abby's "Baby Jesus" was wearing a pink shirt.

What?

You didn't notice that?

Yeah, me either...

No comments: