Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Good Life

Matt and I went to the first Gator game of the season on Saturday. It was a 12:30 game vs. Hawaii.

12:30.

End of August.

Oppressive heat. Sudden rain showers. Then it becomes muggy, oppressive heat.

So, we attended the game the only way I'd be willing.

That would be indoors with some air conditioning.

Oh, I love the screaming fans and the atmosphere of the stadium - we experienced it for years as students there. But now I'm old and tired and not willing to start drinking at 10 in the morning on game day.

For the past few seasons we've been able to sit in the box (courtesy of Matt's company) for one game each season. It's not quite the same as sitting in the stadium, but in my book the pros easily outweigh the cons. So with tickets in hand we lined up Grandma and Grandpa to babysit and headed to our Alma Mater.


The box is a pretty fancy way to watch a game. There's lots of yummy food, snacks, desserts, and drinks. It's all free and it's all you can eat! The view is great and the air conditioning is like heaven on earth.

How many more times do you think I will mention the air conditioning?

Anyway, Ed (the man who organizes the company box for our little group - he's awesome) caught me walking back to the box with my second plate of food and asked me if I was having fun. I'm pretty sure I replied, "This is the life I was meant to live."

I'm nothing if not straight to the point.

Another great thing about the box is there are several tickets available that allow friends and family to come sit in the box during the 4th quarter. Matt was able to grab two, so we invited Anna and Kyle to join us for the 4th quarter of the game.

The arrangements were all made through about a dozen text messages - my first attempt at ever texting anyone (sad, I know). It was quite exciting and I'm sure it will soon be a new addiction. I was using Matt's Blackberry and at one point I looked over at him lovingly and said, "Yeah, I'm going to need to get me one of these things."

We had a great time with Anna and Kyle. They were ecstatic to be out of the aforementioned muggy, oppressive, I feel like I can barely breathe heat.

They were also more than a little pleased to have access to free beer.

Oh, to be young again.



Oh, and yes, there was a football game. A little one. Involving our beloved Gators and the amazing Tim Tebow. The final score was 56-10 so there were lots of reasons to cheer. And sitting next to Matt is fun because he knows all the player names and backgrounds so he fills me in on all the good stuff.

I used to know all of this important Gator information and then I gave birth to my children. And now I'm required to remember their names and background and stuff.

Child rearing is very complicated, you see.

Anyway, we've got an awesome team this year and Matt is thrilled because he'll be spending lots of Saturdays up in Gainesville this season.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

Always has been and always will be.

2 comments:

Joanna Kassar said...

Wow that would be sooo amazing to be in a box during the game. On top of the grueling heat in the stadium, you also have to deal with standing the WHOLE time...I hate that. I am jealous...

Amy said...

Joanna -
I remember having to stand the whole time when we used to "sit" in the student section. Matt would tell you how much I complained about it. I just couldn't understand why anyone (much less thousands of people) would want to stand for an entire football game. Obviously, I still feel very strongly about it! :)

We'll have to make plans to hang out for LSU!!