Saturday, September 13, 2008

Billy Blanks Taught Me Everything I Know.

Last Saturday, Matt went to Gainesville to watch the Gators beat Miami. I decided to take the kids to Disney during the day. I wanted them to have a very fun but very exhausting day. I had big plans about getting them home, bathed, fed, and to bed by 7 so I could read or scrapbook or sleep.

So, to recap: fun day for kids at Disney = early bedtime so mama can relax.

We met up with Marci, John, and Sherilyn - our favorite Disney buddies. We are pros at seeing these parks. We pretty much follow the same routine each time we go - especially with Magic Kingdom. We've got it worked out so that we rarely ever wait in line. Someday, we will write a book.

And, we might include funny pictures like this -


I just love tourists. These ladies were so busy taking video and pictures that they didn't notice when I began taking pictures of them. I thought it was fair after one of them took a picture of our kids.

No kidding.

We sat down on the boat (we're on Small World here) and next thing we knew the lady on the far right turned around, pointed her camera at our kids, and took a picture. Marci and I just looked at each other in shock!

I sure hope our kids make it into her photo album.

After we finished Fantasyland, we headed to Toontown to meet some characters. We didn't wait in line at all to see the princesses. This is usually a 30-45 minute wait so that's a big deal! I love Disney after Labor Day - no crowds!


A princess kiss for Drew!


Abby loves Sleeping Beauty - they talked about their favorite color. Pink, of course!


We love it when Minnie and Mickey are together! It's pretty rare that you get to meet them at the same time so it's really fun when it happens!


Drew, John, Abby and Sherilyn on the people mover -


They are such sweet friends!


Blah, blah, Disney, blah, blah - this is where the story gets interesting.

An important thing you need to know at this point is I did not have my house key with me. I had taken the car key off my key ring because I like to keep it in my pocket just in case my backpack gets stolen. I always have my ID/money and car key in my pockets because those are the things I couldn't do without.

And, you might think I'm paranoid about things getting stolen, but our double stroller was stolen from Disney many months ago, so you just learn to be really careful.

Like I said before, Matt was in Gainesville. He spent the morning doing some yard work and left several hours before we got home. He locked the front door on his way out. However, he had also locked the door into the house from the garage. Normally, we use a slide lock (high enough so the kids can't reach it) on that door when we are in the house - just so the kids can't get out. But, Matt had come in from the yard work and locked the door in the garage (out of habit).

In case you're lost at this point, all you need to know is that all entry points to my house are now safely locked.

We got home around 4:00. We (read: me) were so hot and tired and so very, very hot and cranky and tired and hot. Abby went to open the door and called out to me that it was locked. I went over to help her and discovered (much to my absolute horror) that it was indeed locked - with that darn slide lock.

Now frantic, I called Matt. It wasn't his fault, but I didn't know what to do. I should have had my house key with me but I didn't. He couldn't help - he was 2 hours away.

At this point, I could have called it a day and gone to my mom's house. But, I REALLY wanted to be in my house. I wanted to feed and bathe the kids and put them to bed so I could relax.

You see, I had these plans...

We walked around to check the front door and the sliding doors in the back. No luck. We walked back to the garage and I was so frustrated. The kids were crying to get inside and I felt like joining them.

Fueled on adrenaline, I walked up to the door and I kicked it as hard as I could. It opened with a loud bang.

The best part about it was that my kids didn't even flinch. They just walked in like it was no big deal that mommy had just kicked the door in.

On my very first try I might add.

I called Matt to let him know we had made it inside and he was shocked. He said he was about to call and tell me to try and bust in, but he didn't really think I'd be able to do it.

Later, I assessed the damage.


Not great, but not awful either.


Let this be a lesson to you all - don't mess with me.

I'm stronger than I look.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have NO idea how much I needed a good, long laugh this monday morning. So thank you!!!!!!!!!! That is about the funniest thing i've seen in a long time.

do share your plan for not waiting in line.....we obviously didn't do something right yesterday! :)
Jen D.

Tara said...

Never - not even for a single second - did I ever doubt your ability to use force with such effectiveness.

The Collins said...

too funny! your blog keeps me laughing. love to keep up with your sweet family here.....
Beth