Saturday, November 15, 2008

It's A Little Bit Like The World Series...Only Not.

Today was such an exciting day! It was Drew's last game of the season and he was amazing!

It was actually the first game of the tournament, but our team lost 8-7 which is why it was our last game. However, Drew was phenomenal during the game so our family was on cloud nine!

The best part...well, I'll show you Drew talking to me about it...



That's right! HE CAUGHT A FLY BALL! Words cannot even begin to express the excitement on the field when it happened. The batter popped the ball up and it headed right for 3rd base which is where Drew plays. He held his glove up in the air and the ball dropped right in. The look on his face was priceless! Matt described it as "pure elation."

I was jumping up and down, waving my arms, screaming and clapping for my Drew! I had goose bumps all over my arms watching him celebrate on the field - it brought me so much joy! He ran over to his daddy and jumped into his arms as Matt lifted him up and swung him around. The players, coaches, and fans in the bleachers were all cheering for him. The coaches from the other team even made their way over to high-five him. His smile was enormous and it seemed to last forever.

That was definitely the highlight of the game, but he also had many other great moments. Like he said in the video, "I did a lot of good things so I got another game ball!"

In the last inning we had two outs and two players on base and we needed to score to stay in the game. It was Drew's turn at bat (no tee allowed at this point in the tournament) and I was so nervous for him. He got two strikes and then he hit the third pitch to get the bases loaded! Unfortunately, the little guy after Drew struck out, but that didn't take away from Drew's accomplishment under pressure!

Earlier in the game he scored a run. And, at one point he fielded the ball at third base and got a player from the other team out - something he has never done before!

So, to recap - one catch of a fly ball, one run scored, one hit (without the tee), and one out at third base!

He got the game ball for the second time this season. He is the only player to get a game ball twice!


We are so proud of Drew and so proud of the Tar Heels! We have terrific coaches and a great group of little boys.


As we were walking into the dugout, Drew turned to his coach and said, "Well coach, I'll see you next season in January!"

His coach said, "Drew, I'll see you at the team party in a few weeks."

To which Drew replied with a nod of his head, "Of course you will!"

I really love that little dude!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Great game Drew! We are so proud of you! Love, Aunt Denise, Uncle Matt, Ryan and baby cousin Tyler