Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mama, You're A Genius!

The little gems keep flowing right out of Drew's mouth. Matt was even there to witness this one during breakfast the other morning. Drew was so pleased with our reaction to his comment that he often calls me a genius now throughout the day just to get me to laugh. It works.

And, he's right.

But that's neither here nor there.

Moving on... I just had myself a mini-vacation. Matt took the week off from work and suggested that we each take 3 days to "get away" from chores and childcare. It took me all of 3 seconds to decide what I wanted to do.

After church on Sunday, I left for my dad's beach condo.

By myself.

Because I'm an introvert like that.

It was AMAZING!

I read two books, scrapbooked 35 pages, took 3 naps, walked on the beach, sat by the pool, and got lots of takeout.

For those of you who know me, the beach is really not my thing. First of all, there's lots of sand. Also, there's lots of sand. And the sand gets everywhere. And it's usually very hot and then the sand sticks to you. So, to sum it all up - I'm not so much a fan of the sand.

But, the sound of the ocean...totally my thing. I kept the sliding doors open the entire time so I could listen to the ocean as I read or scrapbooked. Mid-day, I was lulled to sleep by the crashing waves. As I stared at the vast expanse of water, I saw dolphins swimming close to shore when the tide was high. I walked on the beach in the morning and collected seashells for my kids in their favorite colors. I only talked to Matt and the kids (and it is so much fun to talk to those kids on the phone these days...they are like little adults) and spent the rest of my time alone. Silence. Re-charging my batteries.

I came home in time to see the kids before they went to bed Tuesday night. Abby latched her arms around my neck in a gigantic hug that seemed endless. I couldn't get enough of their hugs and kisses. I had really missed them and I know they missed me. I told them I had a surprise for them and Abby immediately yelled, "Is it seashells, mama? Did you bring us seashells?" She was right. They loved looking through the shells and seeing which ones I picked for each of them. Drew said it would be a great "decoration" so the bowl of shells sits on our bookcase for everyone to see. For the rest of the night they would come up to me with a sly smile and say they had a surprise for me and hand me one of their books or toys. It was sweet.

The next day we took them to Disney with Matt's parents (pictures coming soon) and today we were back to our normal schedule. It almost feels as if I never left.

But, I did. And it was good. And I thank my husband for recognizing that I needed that time away to feel refreshed. A break from the daily fight to keep two little people alive and well.

I loved those few days to do my favorite things, but I love the people that I missed so much more.

So, even though today we had a tough day...it's good to be home.

In fact, it's great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you posted something interesting for me to read... I check you blog about 400 times a day now... What is going on in your life is just always way better than the Federal Rules of Evidence. Blah!

Ill be home next Friday! Disney on Sunday? What what...

xoxo Anna