Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Show Must Go On

Abby's first dance recital was June 21st. This was her second year of dance, but we didn't participate in the recital for her first year. She was really scared during that year's little show at Christmas and I didn't want to risk a major meltdown during the most important dance performance of the year.

This year, however, was a completely different story! Abby was much more confident, and she was adamant that she really wanted to be in the recital this year. Her class spent months practicing their tap routine to the song, "I Am A Promise." It is the cutest little song and their costumes were just adorable!


Abby slept in curlers the night before and I love the way her hair came out! It was so much fun to curl her hair, put on make-up, and get everything ready for the big day. It brought back so many memories of my own dancing years!


Here is a picture of the entire class - a very sweet group of girls!


The performance was in the afternoon and Abby seemed really tired while we took pictures. Honestly, I figured she was just tired of me taking so many pictures. As one of the backstage moms, I was able to stay with the girls in the audience and watch the dances before ours since we weren't scheduled until the middle of the show.

Abby got VERY clingy and whiny and I was afraid she was gearing up for some serious stage fright. I kept asking her if she wanted to go on stage and she insisted that she did, but she wasn't acting like it at all. I was really worried she would back out at the last minute. But, she didn't - she walked on that stage and never looked back!


That very evening she got really sick with a high fever - I felt so badly knowing that she had been sick all afternoon but had rallied to be able to dance in her first recital. What a trooper! You never would have known she was sick by her performance. She was terrific!!


I was sitting in the second row and she kept her eyes on me most of the time. She is looking right at me in this next picture. I was so proud of her and I was so glad she could see me watching her!


I wasn't the only proud family member there that day. Daddy, Drew, Grams, Grandaddy, Nessa, Uncle Austin, Uncle Adam, and Uncle Joe all came to watch Abby dance!

Apparently, Drew was quite anxious for Abby to have her turn on stage. He kept a countdown going with Matt - 10 till Abby, 9 till Abby, and so on until it was time for Abby's class to go on stage. He then leaned into Matt and whispered, "My tummy is nervous for Abby." I think it is precious that he was so nervous and excited for her. What a fantastic big brother!


After the recital was over, we went outside to find our family. Daddy was first and he surprised Abby with beautiful flowers!


Drew was right behind him and he had his own bouquet to give to his little sister...


Abby looked over at me - so thrilled with her flowers - and I just love the expression on her face in this one. She is just so pleased.


But, she wasn't done yet. Grams was next...


Then Grandaddy and Nessa...


Our entire family was so proud of Abby! (Thanks Uncle Joe, for taking this picture!)


The four of us...


I'm not going to lie. I really love that Abby loves dance. If she ever wants to do something else then I will completely support her. But, for now, I will enjoy watching her make the same kinds of memories that I have of my own childhood. Memories of dancing, friends, costumes, make up, classes, and recitals...


Oh, and flowers. Lots and lots of flowers!


We love you, beautiful girl!

No comments: