Monday, July 20, 2009

6 years old

This little boy doesn't like cake...


But he sure does love hearing his family sing happy birthday to him!


And blowing out the candles is so much fun that we did it three times!


And when Abby asked him what he wished for...well, you can hear his reply in this video.



I'm pretty sure he meant that he already has the best family in the world.

And the best thing about that is we know we have the best son/brother in the world.

Drew, you bring so much joy to our lives. You are so very smart - astounding us with your memory and things you learn on a daily basis. You are loving and sweet and caring - always concerned about others and reaching out to try to make them feel better. You are so funny - we laugh all the time at your jokes and silliness. And, your Dad and I just look at you all the time and wonder how in the world you became so handsome.

You have it all, Andrew Joseph, and there is nothing I would change about you.

Nothing.

Well, except if it were up to me you would have stayed 5 forever. This perfect age where you are independent, yet still need your Mommy. You are a tough guy that loves sports, yet you still love to snuggle. You don't hesitate to give me a hug or kiss - things like that don't embarrass you yet. You are so big, yet I can still scoop you up in my arms if you need to be comforted. Oh, how my arms will ache when you are too big for me to hold or too old for me to snuggle.

You keep insisting that turning 6 won't change any of that. You tell me things like, "I'll still be your little boy" or "Don't worry, Mama, I'm not a grown up yet" or "I'll always snuggle you, Mama." Your sweetness breaks my heart.

I know you are right. Each of those things is true. Turning 6 won't change any of those things.

But, you see, I remember holding you when you were minutes old. Looking into your eyes as I became your Mama. I remember feeding you and rocking you in the middle of the night when it was only just us. I remember when we found out that you would be a big brother. I remember your first smile, first laugh, first words, first steps, first day of school - all of it.

Everything.

Each year, you turn another year older. Another year that has gone by too fast. Another year filled with precious memories of the wonderful blessing that you are to our family. I am proud to watch you grow. I am excited to see what the future holds for you. But, I just can't pretend that each year doesn't break my heart a little. I am fully aware that before I know it you will be grown.

All the more reason to cherish each and every day of our lives together.


You are one in a million, sweet Drew, and I'm so happy that you're mine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't get through this one without sobbing out loud. Oh the memories you send me back to with your beautiful descriptive words. To think if feels like yesterday that his dad turned 6 and we were you guys. Life is just a fleeting moment. We are enjoying our grandchildren so much because it brings us back to those memories while allowing us to create new ones with these adorable beautiful little human beings that we are blessed to have as grandchildre.