Wednesday, July 4, 2007

I Pledge Allegiance...

Happy 4th! It's raining here - been raining on and off for days now and there seems to be no end in sight! Our plans were to join my family at the beach for the usual 4th of July stuff, but traveling in the rain and sitting inside all day just didn't sound like much fun. Instead, we took the kids to see Ratatouille - it was Abby's first movie and she handled the whole thing like a pro! It was cute - and not too scary for anyone who's thinking about taking the kids to see it.



But, I digress, and this is not the reason for this post.

My children have been feeling very patriotic lately. It seems they notice every American flag that we pass while in the car, and it inspires them to say the pledge of allegiance every single time. This repetition has resulted in a pretty good rendition of the pledge considering they are only 4 and 2 - it's really quite entertaining.
Anyway, Matt gave Abby her bath tonight but then she wanted me to get her dressed in her pajamas. She was still wrapped in her towel, sweet-smelling and a little damp and she just looked so precious. I leaned over and whispered to her, "Who loves you the most?" To which she replied with a big grin, "Mommy." But, I know the Good Lord who blessed me with her really loves her the most so I asked her "Do you know who made you?" And, though I've told her before, she said she didn't know. I reminded her that God made her and loves her so very much. "He lives in my heart" she says and I know this must be hard for a 2 year old to grasp, but we go over it in our quiet time at night. So, the rest of the conversation continues:

Me: Yes, He lives in your heart.
Abby: But I can't see Him.
Me: Yes, but He can see you all the time.
Abby: And He can see Mommy and Daddy and Drew! And, He lives in my heart but also in my house so that He can see me but I can't see Him because He's in my heart.
Me: That's right! Why don't we go ahead and say your prayers now.

She folds her hands together and begins -

"I pledge allegiance to the flag..."

I almost corrected her and I'm so glad I didn't. First of all, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be telling anyone what they should pray about, so if Abby feels like saying the pledge in her prayers then so be it. Next, when she got to the part "under God" she really emphasized those words so I realized that she was praying the pledge because the word "God" was in it. Finally, the real zinger hit me, and I thought that God would really love such a patriotic prayer on the 4th of July. She finished with a hearty "Amen!" and then we went back to pray for a few people. I always ask her who she wants to pray for and she offers different names every night along with Daddy, Drew and I. Tonight, she wanted to pray for her playgroup friends: "I pray for Gavin, and don't forget Luet, oh and Emma, and don't forget Kendall and Sophia and little baby Lexi." We haven't seen those friends in awhile but we were looking at a group picture today so that must have been on her mind.

I love these glimpses into her thoughts and her heart. Oh, this Abby is a spitfire and she pushes Matt and I to the edge! But, she is sweet as sugar and precious beyond belief.

So, Happy 4th of July - and don't forget the say the pledge!









2 comments:

Ali said...

Precious stuff, Amy! Hope to see you soon!!

Ali

Rebecca said...

Amy:
Both of your children are so special and so lucky to have you for a mom.
Love,
Rebecca

PS - You should become a writer...