Friday, March 14, 2008

20%

I kinda feel like my kids have had more than their fair share of illness. We have braved pneumonia, RSV, severe dehydration requiring hospitalization, countless ear infections, respiratory infections, asthma, croup, stomach viruses, and plenty of common colds. Not to even mention the wide array of food allergies poor Drew has to deal with on a daily basis.

Good thing we have been vaccinated against all those BIG illnesses so we don't have to worry about that anymore.

What?

What did you say?

The chicken pox vaccine fails in 20% of children who receive the vaccination?

Oh, you didn't know that? Me either. And, you should have seen my jaw drop to the floor when the on-call pediatrician (ours is on vacation) told me that Abby has chicken pox.

Really?

The pox?

And, that's how you know that you've dealt with too much sickness. You start blowing off things like a growing rash that seems a little itchy and is accompanied by a mild fever.

Next thing you know - your kid has the pox.

And now I will present my defense for all who are judging me and thinking about taking away my mommy card:

Whenever Abby gets a cold/virus she gets a little rash on the back of her neck. Our pediatrician says it is just "normal" for her when she gets sick. So, Sunday afternoon she started with the fever and runny nose and the little rash on the back of her neck.

Her nose was clear and she was acting fine, so I sent her to preschool on Monday. I rationalized that she had probably caught this little cold from her preschool buddies in the first place.

She sneezed her little head off all day Tuesday (still clear) and the rash spread to the right side of her body. This did not keep us away from ballet class. Clearly, we are not easily deterred from our weekly activities.

We went to Disney on Wednesday and by the time we got home the rash had spread to the other side of her body and all over her back.

Finally, Matt had the good sense to insist that I take her to the doctor the next day. But, hello? She had preschool. The kid loves preschool and she seemed to be feeling fine. So, I sent her to school and made an appointment for the afternoon.

The doctor took one look at her and breezily said, "Oh, that just looks like chicken pox. The vaccine doesn't work in about 20% of kids so she'll just have a mild case. Get her some calamine lotion and she'll be fine."

So, that's what we did. I picked my jaw up off the floor and took Abby to the store. I told her we were going to get her some lotion and she asked me, "Can we get some pink lotion, mama?" Why, yes. Yes we can dear, sweet child with the pox. She was understandably thrilled. Because, what's a little chicken pox when you get to have pink lotion?

The rewards clearly justified the risk.

And, now Abby is totally getting her way all day today because I feel bad that she has had the pox and all week I've been acting like it's just a little cold.

Final count: two days of preschool, one day of dance class, one day at the Magic Kingdom, and one case of chicken freakin' pox exposed to way too many children.

I love demonstrating my stellar mommy skills.

1 comment:

Tara said...

I don't know if this makes you feel any better - but this is what happened to us with Jonah as well. Migration of what we thought were hives around his body. I still think you are a stellar mommy.