Saturday, December 8, 2007

Lost In Translation

My children love to talk, love to hear themselves talk, love to repeat things over and over, and, have I mentioned they LOVE to talk?? Seriously, they do. But, only on their terms and apparently, unless you are me, it is not always easy to understand what they are saying. Sometimes daddy even needs to ask me to translate for them, and, when I'm having trouble understanding one of them, the other one can almost always tell me what their sibling is trying to say.

Impressive.

So, imagine my surprise when I picked Drew up from school a week ago and he told me he read a book called, "The mother eats the baby animals." Appalled, I asked if he was sure that was really the name of the book, and, he insisted "Yes, mama. The mother eats the baby animals." I'm ashamed to admit that it took me more than a few minutes to realize that he most assuredly meant that he heard a book about a mother FEEDING baby animals - that's a pretty significant difference.

Especially if you are a baby animal mentioned in the above referenced children's book.

Anyway, it's things like this that just make me laugh as they try to figure out exactly how to express the thoughts that are constantly filling their little heads. From the minute she could talk, Abby has wanted us to repeat everything she says. Word for word. It's her way of making sure that we really understand what she is telling us - even two year olds need to be validated, people. Whenever I can't understand her I just try to nod and say ok or some other acknowledgement, but she will repeat herself over and over with increasing intensity until one of us finally figures out WHAT SHE IS TRYING TO SAY ALREADY!

It's charming, indeed.

Oh, but their little voices. I love the sound of their little toddler voices. Still baby-like, but often they say such big words or have such important thoughts and it just sounds so precious coming from those sweet mouths. They learn quickly, these kids, so they are always picking up new words or phrases or stories even after only hearing them once. Drew learned the story of the three little pigs at preschool and could re-tell it with amazing accuracy even though he could have only heard it just a few times. Of course, Abby also jumps right in on the story-telling fun!


video

video

That's not just me, right? Could they be any cuter?

And, notice they both said that the three little pigs built a "house of straws." There is no doubt in my mind that when they imagine that part of the story they are seeing a house built of drinking straws rather than the actual straw the pigs used to build their houses.

A mother just knows these things...

Every night I tell Drew, "I love you with my whole heart." Last week, as I was leaving his room he grabbed my hand and told me, "Mama, I love you with YOUR whole heart!"

And then my heart melted, because though his translation was a little off...I totally understood what he was saying.

A mama just knows these things...

3 comments:

Xan said...

It isn't just you and they are totally cute. Kids say the darndest things and most of the time you don't know where they get them...and I love that! The suprize of it is better than a present on Christmas morning.

This week Kris and I took Luet to see the Golden Compass. When it was over we asked her what she thought of the movie. Her responce was priceless. She said "It freaked me out!"

Gosh I love her. I look forward to the day I can have those mother daughter heart to hearts!

Thanks for sharing.
Xan

Anonymous said...

I have no idea where Abby gets the need to be constantly validated... but it must come from somewhere =) Oh, and I swear, I will find that darn relative teaching them outrageous phrases and put an end to the madness... Muhahaha!!
xoxo Aunt Anna

Ali said...

Too precious, Amy!!

I agree with you 100% from your response to my blog. Her evening in line must've been harder than ours to treat me that way! Wooh! One of the best dollars I ever spent though!!!