Thursday, June 21, 2007

7 Years and Counting...

Our 7th wedding anniversary is this Sunday. Seems impressive to me, but it becomes even more impressive when you learn that we have been a couple for 12 years. Now, that's a long time! We met as freshmen at the University of Florida, and, being the two tallest people there, it felt right that we begin dating. On and off again because Matt didn't seem to be looking for a serious relationship, but, when you meet your soul mate, it's just hard to say no!



It's not difficult to look at our life together and see that we are incredibly blessed people. Things have gone smoothly for us - the perfect wedding, the European honeymoon, the first apartment, first house, working and saving money, having two beautiful children and now raising them as best we can. Sounds pretty near perfect, but as any of you know - there are always bumps (some worse than others) along the way. What is great about Matt and I is that we always pull through it together. We are a team. We always have been and I know we always will be. Matt put it very romantically one time when he jokingly said, "honey, no matter how miserable I am - I'll never divorce you." I guess you had to be there... :)


Celebrating Father's Day this weekend was very fun for me because Matt is such a fantastic daddy. His children ADORE him and the feeling is obviously mutual. On Mother's Day I just wanted some time to myself - some peace and quiet. But, on Father's Day Matt was just as involved with the kids as ever. He has a career with a great work/life balance so the kids see him every evening and every weekend for lots of quality time - that is so important to him. He supports me being a stay at home mom and I can tell he truly believes it is what is best for our kids - never resentful of me not having a career outside the home. He generously allows me time away to go out with girlfriends, scrapbook, or he'll just suggest I go to my mom's house for the day to read a book - all by myself!! He plays so well with Drew and Abby - playing outside and reading them books and playing board games and making up silly games that they just LOVE! He calls every day to hear about how Drew did at school and he is so proud of every new thing they accomplish. Matt had a wonderful role model in his own father and I'm just so proud that he is the father of my children.

So, tomorrow we are having dinner at the Peabody (which is where we got married) and that was Matt's idea. Then, Saturday I get to have one of those glorious days of time away while I scrapbook with one of my best girlfriends. And, on Sunday (our actual anniversary) we are taking the kids to Sea World for some good ol' family time. Good stuff!

This past weekend I was on my way to a baby shower and I came out to say goodbye. I was wearing a dress (which I haven't done in a long time - thanks Anna for taking me shopping) and as I kissed Drew he looked worried and said, "Mommy, don't forget to marry daddy!" I took a moment to turn back around and look at his precious, precious face knowing he was remembering a picture of me in my wedding dress. I promised him I wouldn't forget as Matt and I exchanged that sweet glance of adoring parents. And, Drew, I would marry your daddy again in a heartbeat!












5 comments:

danielle said...

wow, things are working out just like we planned when we were 5, (most days, anyway)! happy, happy anniversary. have a great weekend.

Tracy Taylor said...

I want you to know how great this latest post is. Every time we pass the Peabody, we talk about your wedding. I cannot believe that it’s been 7 years! Oh, and the black and white pic is wonderful! One of my favorite pictures of Savannah in the world is the black and white one of her blowing bubbles at your wedding. Awww. Congratulations to both of you.
Love, Tracy and Savannah

Mom and Dad said...

Happy 7th Anniversary Amy and Matt. It seems like yesterday. What a wonderful time it was for all of us. We did not lose a son that day but instead gained a beautiful and caring second daughter. You and Matthew certainly know the secret of a good marriage. It's never taking the other for granted, often putting each other's needs first and always knowing how blessed you are to have each other. Love Mom and Dad

Ali said...

Hey Amy... just read your note on my blog. Yours is beautiful! So glad we can stay in touch between scrapbook parties through our blogs!!

earigo@aol.com said...

I cant get enough of your blog information. I love reading them. What great stories the children will have when they become adults. Get some more pictures of you and Matt with them and put them on the blog. They will treasure these forever. Wish I had something like this with my mother.