Friday, June 5, 2009

Growth

First day of kindergarten...


Last day of kindergarten...


I sent my baby off to school 10 months ago. He had just turned 5. Do you see his face in the first picture? He still had a baby-shaped face...

No more.

He has grown many inches and has thinned out all over. He has lost 6 baby teeth that have now been replaced with 6 adult teeth.

He can read above grade level, write at grade level, and has a photographic memory that has served him well in all of his school work. He has made many friends, has a girlfriend (who even gave him a ring!), won the hearts of teachers, and joined the ever popular running club.

He plays third base for his baseball team, is consistently one of the best hitters on the team, and watches SportsCenter more than his father does.

He broke my heart on the day he began kindergarten. I knew the days would be long and that I would miss him.

And I did.

But, I can't deny that he was extremely successful this year. When we got home this afternoon, I had tears in my eyes and a quiver in my voice as I told him how very proud of him I am for all he has done and learned this year. In true Drew form, he tucked his chin down and looked up at me through his eyelashes as he responded, "Aw shucks, Mama." It was one of those amazing moments during which I could tell he really understood just how much I love him and how proud of him I am. Priceless.

He has gained much independence and confidence this year. He is still my sweet, loving, funny, naive, charming, affectionate, and super-smart Drew.

But, he has grown.

And he will keep growing year after year. And with each passing year I will have to let go just a little bit more. And as hard as that is for this mama, I know it is good. It is right. It is best for him. And, although at times my heart longs for my precious baby boy, I wouldn't trade knowing and loving this face for anything in the world.


And, I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am that I get to have him all to myself for the next three months!

No comments: