Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far...


Oh no, it doesn't. My sweet daughter was in pure bliss - she loves her chocolate just like her mama! She discovered the "tootsie roll" last night, and let me tell you, it was magical. I'm just so glad I was there to witness it - what with the bronchitis Drew and I are sharing and all. No worries - we coughed and wheezed our way through trick or treating and managed to have a great time!


Captain Hook! Just about the sweetest pirate you'll ever meet. I tell you though, my neighbors, nice as they all were last night, they just took a lot of the fun out of it for my Drew. He loves ringing on those doorbells and all the anticipation while you wait for the nice folks to come to the door. He doesn't much care about the candy, and often hurries off to the next house without even waiting to have his bucket filled. Well, this year, most of our neighbors set up camp on their driveways and this meant there weren't many doorbells to ring. Drew took it in stride - he still had lots of fun, but I just knew something was missing and I finally figured out it was the joy in the ringing of the doorbells. But, boy was it a rockin' party in our neighborhood last night. These people take Halloween seriously...as does my daughter...



Tinkerbell! I tell you, as each day goes by I'm just convinced there has never ever been a prettier child than this one (sorry about all the pride, but I just can't help it). Abby is all about the true meaning of Halloween - lots and lots of sugar-filled candy!! She didn't stop smiling the entire night and I think she could have kept up with it for hours if the rest of us weren't holding her back. The funniest parts were the moments after the candy had been dropped in her bucket. She would look down into the pumpkin and then look back up at the person with a look on her face that said, "That's it? You've got a whole bowl there...don't you want to share anymore with a cute little pixie like me?" And, faced with this expression, the majority gave her more candy - suckers!! She seemed quite pleased with herself by night's end.



And, they're off! These two raced around the neighborhood caught up in all the excitement at seeing all the other kids in their costumes. And the darkness! The darkness! They usually go to bed so early that they knew it was a very special occasion to be outside without the sun shining. And a special shout out to my dear mama who helped us get out the door - Abby's costume is literally pinned together with about half a dozen safety pins and I only had one bobby pin to keep the headpiece stuck on her head. These are things that only grandmothers are qualified for. My mom actually used to sew all of our Halloween costumes when we were little - that's true love.



Abby loved that she got to hold a "hook" instead of Drew's hand!!




See how they are looking at each other? I actually took this picture mid-conversation.
Abby: Drew, you are my favorite Captain Hook in the whole wide world.
Drew: I know Abby. You are my best Tinkerbell. I love you!
Abby: I love you so much too Captain Hook. Are we getting candy?
Drew: Yes, yes, say trick or treat. It's so much fun, right Tinkerbell?
Abby: Right Drew. Let's go!
Matt was telling me to stop taking so many pictures and I shushed him, "Did you hear that?" I asked. "They were just having the sweetest conversation." No, he didn't hear them. But I did. And I treasure it when they are so precious with each other.
But, he has a point. I guess there is such a thing as too much flash photography...








1 comment:

Ali said...

Sweet night, Amy!! Are you all better? Check my blog for Max pictures!! Hope to see you soon!